[Buildroot] Problem compiling local code

Samuel Martin s.martin49 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 07:27:03 UTC 2013


Hi Thomas, Ryan, all,

2013/7/23 Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com>:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Ryan Wilkins <ryan at deadfrog.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Ryan Wilkins <ryan at deadfrog.net> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Jul 19, 2013, at 1:29 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Ryan,
>>>>
>>>> Is there any output regarding the hello package, like 'downloading',
>>>> 'extracting', 'building', etc. or nothing at all?
>>>> What is the name of the config option that you added, and are you sure
>>>> it's enabled in .config?
>>>>
>>>> What happens if you explicitly run 'make hello' ?
>>>>
>>>> Depending on what you did before, you may also need to clear previous
>>>> attempts from the output, for example with:
>>>> make hello-dirclean
>>>>
>>>> If the hello package is seen correctly by buildroot, but the
>>>> compilation doesn't work correctly, you may want to add
>>>> KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 to the make command, to see the actual make command
>>>> executed.
>>>>
>>>> Best regards,
>>>> Thomas
>>>
>>> Thomas,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response.  After some digging around, I found that buildroot wasn't even trying to grab or compile my code.  What I discovered earlier today is that the variable names that I was using contained too many underscores.  My Config.in and hello.mk files were using variables set as BR2_PACKAGE_COMPANY_PROJECT_HELLO.  When I shortened it to just BR2_PACKAGE_HELLO then it started working properly.  Apparently the additional underscores confused some parsing of the buildroot and/or Kbuild system.  If that was mentioned in the documentation then I missed it.  Maybe it was assumed.  In any case, it's working now.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help on this.  I appreciate it.
>>>
>>
>> And I put the wrong variable names down in this email.  Was going from memory while my wife was driving the car.
>>
>> Config.in had BR2_PACKAGE_COMPANY_PROJECT_HELLO which changed to BR2_PACKAGE_HELLO.
>>
>> hello.mk had COMPANY_PROJECT_HELLO_ variable names prefix which changed to HELLO_.
>>
>> That solved the issues.
>>
>
> Thanks for reporting back. Buildroot indeed expects
> BR2_PACKAGE_<packagename> in the Config.in files, and
> <packagename>_... for the .mk files. I also couldn't find this
> restriction explicitly mentioned in the documentation, it's only
> implicitly shown in the examples.  You're very welcome to send a patch
> to update the documentation in this respect!
Actually it's already in the documentation:
http://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#package-name-variable-relation

Anyway, you're more than welcome to submit patch for the doc ;-), to
make this point more obvious,
or any other things you've found uncovered in the manual.


Regards,

-- 
Samuel



More information about the buildroot mailing list