[Buildroot] [git commit] bwm-ng: move to appropiate category

Gustavo Zacarias gustavo at zacarias.com.ar
Thu Jul 4 16:34:50 UTC 2013

On 07/04/2013 01:19 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> Kelvin, Peter, All,
>
>> 2013/7/2 Kelvin Cheung <keguang.zhang at gmail.com>
>>> Hi Gustavo & Peter,
>>> Last year, I submitted a patch to move bwm-ng from "Networking
>>> applications" to "System tools".
>>> Because bwm-ng can monitor not only network bandwidth but also disk-io
>>> bandwidth.
>>> So, could you just leave it as it is?
>
> Agreed.

Well, sysstat handles I/O bandwidth as well, and it's in hardware
handling, should we move it too? Or maybe bwm-ng to hardware?
Most of the time i tend to think "System Tools" as "Basic Tools" (i.e.
things needed for a system to boot & run, non-busybox based that is).
For that matter we could also move it to "Debugging, profiling and
benchmark".
At least for me it clearly doesn't belong in the System Tools category.
bwm-ng IMHO would most likely be used to measure network bandwidth
rather than disk I/O on embedded systems (which usually lack disk).
Regards.