[Buildroot] [RFC v1 01/14] Add a new "src" directory in the output directory

Jérôme Pouiller jezz at sysmic.org
Tue Jan 22 10:15:11 UTC 2013

On Monday 21 January 2013 18:16:40 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Jérôme Pouiller,
>
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:47:22 +0100, Jérôme Pouiller wrote:
> > IMHO, $(SRC_DIR) should be in $(TOPDIR) to be shared between
> > different configurations. In add $(SRC_DIR) have to customizable in
> > case I would like to clearly separate two projects.
>
> I have indeed thought about making the source code shareable across
> rebuilds and across projects, but since we apply patches to the source
> code, it seems a bit complicated to do in a reliable way.
Hmm... If source is not shared across builds, what is advantage of build out
of sources?

I see two advantages:
  - No duplication of source between host and target. But finaly, only a few
(and small) package are concerned. Shall we care about this?
  - To make build of a package outside of Buildroot easier. In this case, did
you consider to build in a subdirectory of source? It does not allow to share
source between host and target but may be sufficient and may solve a bunch of
questions.

> What happens when you bump your Buildroot version and the patches for a
> given package change? You would have to manually clean up the source
> directories. Not sure we want to do that, at least for now, but the
> opinion of others would be interesting here.
Currently, when you bump your version of Buildroot, you have to clean all.
Buildroot may provide a rule to also cleaning source directory.

Jérôme Pouiller