[Buildroot] Udev generates too many tty dev nodes

Willy Lambert lambert.willy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:05:46 UTC 2013

2013/1/17 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:
> Dear Willy Lambert,
>
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 01:48:41 +0100, Willy Lambert wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to put my /dev folder into order, and I recently switched
>> from static config to udev. All device are correctly set up exept tty*
>> that are umerously present (something like 64 nodes).
>>
>> _ Does anyone know if it is normal that so many files are generated ?
>> (or said differently should I wonder about my buildroot outputs)
>> _ Is there any mean to change that ?
>> _ Is this only and udev problem or is it linked to buildroot
>> integration ?
>
> Is it really an issue? I mean, device nodes really don't consume that
> much memory or anything, so, who cares?

I do ^^. The bad argument is that I hate having mess on my device,
especially when typing "ls /dev". The good one is that if something
behave strangly I like to tackle the root cause. It's not an
industrial projet, it's a personnal one on which I can take the time I
want to look at everything I like :D. And in this case I do *not* have
a need for 64 ttys and I did *not* (at least consciently) ask for
having them. So somehting, somewhere is doing thing on my back, and I
want to know what.

udev is supposed to show only what's available or in use. It's sure
that some of those devices are not meeting this criterias.

But I agree, it's all but an issue.