[Buildroot] New kernel source mode [Proposal]

Stephan Hoffmann sho at relinux.de
Tue Jan 15 07:51:16 UTC 2013

Am 15.01.2013 02:12, schrieb Przemyslaw Wrzos:

> Hi,
>

> I'd like to get some feedback on a feature I'd like to contribute to
> the buildroot project. I'm not quite sure what the process is so I
> thought I'd start on the mailing list.
>

> PROPOSAL:  Allow a directory (containing the source tree) to be used
> as the source for the kernel build. The source isn't copied to the
> output directory but instead the kernel's outputmakfile wrapper
> facility is used.

Hello,

do you mean the kernel's out of tree build feature?

> RATIONALE:  In my project, changes to the kernel are frequent enough
> that it is ideal to be able to update the kernel source tree and then
> build directly from it.

Isn't this almost the same as can be achieved using the "Source
Override" feature?

But the advantages of your proposal would be saving some time on each
build and some hard disk space. Especially when using huge kernel git
archives.

> IMPLEMENTATION:  In addition to providing a new source for the linux
> build process itself, some package makefiles will need to be updated
> as they currently don't differentiate between the kernel source tree
> and build tree.
>

> I have this working already though I still need to update some of the
> packages as mentioned above. I wanted to ask if there would be any
> interest in rolling this into the buildroot project upstream.

If you send your patch set I'll give it a try, but I cannot judge the
impact of buildroot's overall structure.

Kind regards

Stephan