[Buildroot] [RFC] How to handle targets that need more than one file system to boot?

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 00:32:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr> wrote:
> Arnout, Steve, All,
>
> On Wednesday 02 January 2013 Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>> On 12/25/12 04:52, Steve Calfee wrote:
>> > On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Yann E. MORIN<yann.morin.1998 at free.fr>  wrote:
> [--SNIP--]
>>
>>   That's not really true, is it? Buildroot generates the ext2fs and the
>> boot loader and kernel images, you only have to create the partitions and
>> the fatfs and pull everything together into a single image.
>
> So, you said the same as me: Buildroot (without external tools) can
> not generate more than one *filesystem* image (ext2, tar, whatever).

Hi Yann,

Maybe we are talking about different things. I think there is a config
option in buildroot that allows you to build multiple output
filesystems, I believe I have created ext4 and a tar.gz as outputs. I
think there are also various flash file systems you can create.

They do all contain the identical built rootfs, so for raspberry pi
where for now you want the first boot partition to be fat and the rest
ext4,  buildroot does not build both of them. However the images are
correctly made and can easily be installed by the user manually or via
a script. Building for instance the boot fat file system does not make
much sense, you still need to somehow install the built stuff onto
flash. Doing an install is highly developer specific (and frequently
requires manual insertion of flash etc), and I don't think should be
part of the the BR make system.

Regards, Steve