[Buildroot] Linux and busybox-configfiles

Stephan Hoffmann sho at relinux.de
Wed Jan 30 10:41:40 UTC 2013

Am 30.01.2013 11:01, schrieb Jeremy Rosen:
>>   But the problem is that the buildroot configuration conflicts with
>>   the
>> kernel configuration.
>>

>>   Regards,
>>   Arnout
>>

> aha....
>
> so our problem is that make linux-menuconfig should change the buildroot configuration option from "use defconfig" to "use a custom configuration"
>
> is that it ?
I don't think so. If we regard the buildroot configuration option more
as a starting point for configuring busybox and linux than as the actual
used value, we are right there:

After "make xxx_defconfig" we have the default configuration.
"make xxx-menuconfig" takes us to a temporary "work in progress" point,
where our system no longer matches the default configuration but is
defined by .config, busybox-config and linux-config.
"make xxx_defconfig && make clean" discards all changes and restores the
default configuration.
"make xxx-update-config" updates the config file named in buildroot's
config file constituting a new default.
"make savedefconfig && cp defconfig configs/xxx_defconfig" does the same
for the changes in buildroot's config file.

Maybe it makes sense to change some names?

BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE -> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE
BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_CONFIG -> BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_CONFIG

Regards

Stephan

--
reLinux     -    Stephan Hoffmann