[Buildroot] making a second small failsafe file system

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Wed Jan 30 04:58:32 UTC 2013

Hi John,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 05:33:06PM -0800, John Stile wrote:
> I have a board with 8Mb of NOR and 256Mb of NAND.
>
> I plan to normally use NAND, divided into redundant halves, but if
> neither half can boot, I would like a failsafe minimal file system on
> NOR in order to re-image NAND over the network.
>
> What are my options?

My solutions was a tiny initramfs embedded in the kernel image. This initramfs
contains (almost) only a statically built busybox binary. The /init script of
initramfs execs a shell as a fallback when the main filesystem is not
mountable.

You'll probably wan a uClibc toolchain for this busybox image (if you don't
use one already) to keep its size minimal.

baruch