[Buildroot] Udev generates too many tty dev nodes

Willy Lambert lambert.willy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 00:48:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to put my /dev folder into order, and I recently switched
from static config to udev. All device are correctly set up exept tty*
that are umerously present (something like 64 nodes).

_ Does anyone know if it is normal that so many files are generated ?
(or said differently should I wonder about my buildroot outputs)
_ Is there any mean to change that ?
_ Is this only and udev problem or is it linked to buildroot integration ?

I think it's a quite "common problem" but googling it didn't helped :(
The better answer was that :
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/25021/change-the-number-of-generated-dev-tty-devices
but it's a bit hackish... I generate a rootfs from scratch so I want
to manage everything that's happening inside, so in this case I want
to tell it how many device it may/should create.