[Buildroot] need smaller filesystem for NOR

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Fri Feb 8 17:38:23 UTC 2013

John, All,

On Friday 08 February 2013 John Stile wrote:
> I primarily boot from one of two 128Mb NAND areas, but I have an 8Mb NOR
> failsafe if NAND is bad.  I have about 5.5Mb available for the
> Filesystem after loading at91bootstrap, uboot, uboot-env, and kernel.
> ...(using buildroot-2011.11)...
>
> The rootfs.jffs2 for NAND is 41Mb.
> I need one for NOR that is less than 5.5Mb.
>
> Is there a good method or script to copy buildroot's rootfs.jffs2  to
> make a smaller copy for NOR?

I would simply create a completely separated system from scratch, with
only the packages that you need.

For example:

  $ make O="$(pwd)/complete_system" complete_defconfig
  $ make O="$(pwd)/complete_system"
  $ make O="$(pwd)/failsafe_system" failsafe_defconfig
  $ make O="$(pwd)/failsafe_system"

And then grab the corresponding images from:
    complete_system/images/    <- the full-featured system
    failsafe_system/images/    <- the failsafe system

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.