[Buildroot] makedevs and symbolic links

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Feb 7 17:14:28 UTC 2013

On 07/02/13 11:14, Aras Vaichas wrote:
> My current employer wants me to put my Buildroot configuration into their
> version control system (MKS). So I am looking at ways that I can avoid
> using empty directories and symbolic links to make it diff and MKS
> friendly. I guess there's no getting around using multiple files and
> scripts to achieve this.

  Empty directories, I forgot about that!

  Patch coming up. It excludes the .empty files, so that you can create
an empty directory in your VCS by populating it with a '.empty' file. We
use the same trick in the skeleton (git doesn't support empty directories
either).

  For symlinks, I don't see a reason to add a workaround in buildroot. A
VCS that doesn't have symlinks is broken. I have a customer who uses CVS,
and their workaround is to put the overlay in a tar file and extract it
before building.

  Regards,
  Arnout