[Buildroot] network-manager-applet for buildroot almost ready

Stefan Fröberg stefan.froberg at petroprogram.com
Fri Feb 22 12:23:06 UTC 2013

21.2.2013 18:21, Stefan Fröberg kirjoitti:
> 21.2.2013 16:41, Stefan Fröberg kirjoitti:
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I have network-manager-applet running and it appears into fluxbox system
>> tray but
>> it does not detect any networks.
>>
>> When starting it from terminal it spits the following:
>>
>> ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
>> ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area
>>
>> ** (nm-applet:766): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (32) No
>> session found for uid 0
>>
>> Does that "No session found for uid 0" mean that there is something
>> wrong with dbus ????
>>
>> Or is that error related to consolekit ?
>>
>> I have it here running too (and soon will submit to buildroot)
>> Also running are NetworkManager and dbus.
>>
>> I start fluxbox with normal startx command and I have just "exec
>> /usr/bin/startfluxbox" in my .xinitrc file.
>>

>> Regards
>> Stefan
>>

> I added ConsoleKits ck-launch-session to my .xinitrc as instructed here
> http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Start_fluxbox_from_the_command_line
>
> Now it does not anymore nag about missing session.
> However, still no networks detected and when I try to click and view
> properties of nm-applet it spits this:
>
> ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
> ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area
>
> ** (nm-applet:905): WARNING **: async_got_type: could not read
> properties for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/10:
> Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
>

> ** (nm-applet:905): WARNING **: async_got_type: could not read
> properties for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/10:
> Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
>

> ** (nm-applet:905): WARNING **: Connection activation failed: Creating
> object for path '/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/10'
> failed in libnm-glib.
>
> ** (nm-applet:905): WARNING **: async_got_type: could not read
> properties for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/10:
> Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
>

> So this is definetely either dbus or networkmanager (or both) problem
>
> Regards
> Stefan

God dammit Im stupid!
I was trying to use NetworkManger with busybox udhcpc .....

Fixed NetworkManger with adding dhcp as dependency and adding
--with-dhclient in configuration (and few other fixes).
Also fixed little bit dhcp package (added symlink to /usr/sbin/dhclient
-> /sbin/dhclient because that's
what NetworkManager seems to expect in it's configuration summary, just
before starting compiling)

Works like a charm now! :-)

Fowever, there is still left's unanswered questions:

-  Did NetworkManager package work for anyone before ?
Did you use just static IP or try DHCP and with what client & configuration?

- ConsoleKits's ck-list-session still spits "active=FALSE" and "is
local=FALSE" for Seat2. Where is Seat1 and why does it not show it ?
(doing ck-history --log shows that Seat1 had been created)
Adding CONFIG_AUDIT=y and CONFIG_SYSCALLAUDIT=y did nothing more than
add  login id number to ck-list-session output. Yay....

Regards
Stefan