[Buildroot] uboot-tools and uboot being separate

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Feb 13 22:57:03 UTC 2013

On 13/02/13 21:20, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Dimitrios Siganos,
>
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:22:54 +0000, Dimitrios Siganos wrote:
>
>> I have a query regarding uboot and uboot-tools. Currently they are
>> separate packages.
>>
>> However, if I am building both the uboot bootloader and the uboot tools
>> would it not be reasonable to expect to use the same sources for
>> compiling both? At the moment, I am in a situation where I am building
>> uboot with one set of files and uboot-tools (e.g. fw_printenv) with another.
>>
>> Is the recommended solution to point both uboot and uboot-tools to the
>> same package version and apply the same patches to both? And have two
>> parallel builds (uboot, uboot-tools) that should be identical?

  I've had the same issue once: a patch to add some functionality to
mkimage that I needed both on the host and on the target.

> No. You don't have to have identical uboot-tools and uboot. Basically
> uboot-tools provide one tool to create U-Boot images (mkimage) and
> tools to manipulate the U-Boot environment from Linux (fw_printenv,
> fw_setenv). Those tools are backward compatible, and so you can
> perfectly use the tools from U-Boot 2010.x with a running U-Boot 2012.x
> or 2013.x.

  Unless some feature has been added or removed.

> There is really no need to have the same source code base for both
> uboot and uboot-tools.
>
>> I have also being thinking along these lines:
>>
>> 1) Edit the uboot-tools makefile to not use its own build directory but
>> use uboot's build instead (silly idea idea I admit, but you never know...).

  This will be the way to go - and much easier as soon as the out-of-tree
build is there. But it still requires more infrastructural change, since
currently there is no way to specify that a package doesn't have a source
itself, but the source comes from another package.

  There are actually a few other packages out there that have or could
have the same "shared source, separate build" issue: kernel-headers,
udev, perf.

  Regards,
  Arnout