[Buildroot] makedevs and symbolic links

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Feb 7 10:43:44 UTC 2013

Dear Aras Vaichas,

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:14:18 +0000, Aras Vaichas wrote:

> Aaah, I don't have that version of Buildroot. I'm using 2012.11. I can see
> from the mailing lists now that patches were added for the "rootfs-overlay".

This new "rootfs-overlay" thing is really just a little sugar. You can
already do this "rootfs-overlay" by copying
board/<company>/<project>/rootfs-overlay/* to $(TARGET_DIR) in your
custom post-build script. I've been doing that for 2+ years.

> I might have to leave that until it's in the stable release. I'm currently
> documenting how to use Buildroot for my employer (a company with almost
> zero Linux knowledge) on their hardware, so I'd rather stick to official
> release versions for now. I can update my documentation later.
>
> My current employer wants me to put my Buildroot configuration into their
> version control system (MKS). So I am looking at ways that I can avoid
> using empty directories and symbolic links to make it diff and MKS
> friendly. I guess there's no getting around using multiple files and
> scripts to achieve this.
>
> Crazy idea: If only patch/diff handled empty directories, symlinks,
> devices, permissions and ownerships. Then it could be done entirely in a
> single file that would be 100% friendly in all cases on all operating
> systems.

It is not possible: you can't create device files without being root,
and you can't change ownership without being root.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons