[Buildroot] Using a precompiled busybox toolchain as an external toolchain

Samuel Martin s.martin49 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 13:53:55 UTC 2012

Hi Willy, all,

Apologize for the late answer.

2012/12/30 Willy Lambert <lambert.willy at gmail.com>:
> 2012/12/18 Willy Lambert <lambert.willy at gmail.com>:
>> 2012/12/18 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:
>>> Dear Willy Lambert,

>>> Indeed. Feel free to submit a patch for the manual :-)
>>>

>> yes, but how ? Should I edit html files by and in the docs/manual folder ?
Please edit the manual from docs/manual, this is the reference now.
See http://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#_the_documentation

>> I'm not at ease with git, so I will see during hollidays if I can do
>> something with it.
Well, from my experience, playing with git is the best way to learn it! :P
BTW, there is a lot of doc and so on around the web, e.g.:
- http://try.github.com/levels/1/challenges/1
- http://git-scm.com/documentation
- ...

Concerning patch posting to Buildroot, the online manual gathers the
few useful things, see:
http://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#submitting-patches

Lastly, if you sneak around on the Buildroot IRC channel, there will
most likely be
someone who will be able to help you with git. ;-)

> may I bump this, how should I edit documentation ?
I guess you're using a git view of BR, so please pull it and rebuild the manual:
make manual-clean manual

Few things related to this have been merged yesterday thanks to Thomas! ;-)

> I succeeded in creating the toolchain in "MY_TOOLCAHIN_PATH", but :
> _ if I do a make clean it disapear, so I suppose I have to change
> BR2_HOST_DIR back the default value after having creating the
> toolchain ?
> _ what's happening if I create several toolchain for several arch in
> the same "MY_TOOLCHAIN_PATH ? does they override or do they install
> nicely both in the same dir ?
> _ what is the path I have to give to buildroot ? "MY_TOOLCHAIN_PATH'
> or something like "MY_TOOLCHAIN_PATH'/usr/...
In the updated manual (the one you should have built; unfortunately
not online until the next release),
check the paragraph entitled "External toolchain backend" in the 3.1.1 section.

Basically, if you want to build a toolchain with BR, but avoid de
remove and rebuild it after each "make clean",
you should build the toolchain first with Buildroot in some place (see
http://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#_building_out_of_tree),
then use it as an external toolchain in another configuration, in
another build directory
(see http://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#external-toolchain).

To do so (after backuping your current BR config):

1) run 'make menuconfig O=/path/to/somewhere',

2) set the same toolchain configuration as your working configuration,
and disable everything from the following menus:
- System configuration
- Package Selection for the target
- Filesystem images
- Bootloaders
- Kernel

3) run 'make O=/path/to/somewhere'.
This should build the toolchain and pretty much nothing else.

4) run 'make menuconfig' and update the toolchain configuration:
Toolchain type (External toolchain)
Toolchain (Custom toolchain)
Toolchain origin (Pre-installed toolchain)
(/path/to/somewhere/host/usr) Toolchain path

Samuel