[Buildroot] User-enabled host packages?

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 16:46:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Hello,
>
> In this e-mail, I'll try to summarize what I understand to be the
> consensus on this issue and also what I, as a Buildroot contributor,
> consider acceptable for integration :
>
>  * It is desirable to have *some* host packages visible in the
>   menuconfig interface, but *most* host packages should remain
>   invisible as they are today, when those are solely used as build
>   dependencies.

Agreed.

>   The criteria on deciding whether an host package should be made
>   visible or not depends on whether this host package contains
>   utilities that are directly useful for development. Things like
>   image generators, debugging or flashing utilities that run on the
>   host but interact with a target, etc. are the typical types of
>   host packages that are expected to be visible.

Agreed.

>  * From a .mk file perspective, exposing some host packages requires no
>   change to the existing infrastructure. All host packages must be
>   stored in the package/ subdirectory, just like any other package. So
>   even the omap-u-boot-utils proposed by Luca should be in
>   package/omap-u-boot-utils, just like package/uboot-tools.

Agreed.

>  * From a Config.in perspective, the host packages that need to be
>   visible should implement a package/<foo>/Config.in.host file
>   describing the configuration options. Those configuration options
>   should have the BR2_HOST_PACKAGE_* prefix.

Is this really needed?
If you use BR2_PACKAGE_HOST_FOO, then the existing infrastructure will
add host-foo to the targets.
Of course, explicit host packages will be treated the same way as
dependency-host-packages on Config.in level, but I don't think this is
a problem.

> All these Config.in.host
>   files are included in a single "Packages -> Host utitities" submenu,
>   from package/Config.in. There is no need to create subsections in
>   this menu at the moment, since the number of utilities shown here is
>   suspected to remain limited.

If you want to add the new menu under Packages, then the description
of that menu should change. Currently it is:
"Package Selection for the target"
A proposal is simply:
"Package selection"

The alternative is as proposed earlier: to put the menu at top-level.

>  * The package infrastructure is modified so that when a
>   BR2_HOST_PACKAGE_<foo> option is enabled, then host-foo is added to
>   the global TARGETS variable.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the infrastructure, this would not be
needed if the option name is different, as I wrote above.