[Buildroot] Looking for BDI2000 advice with buildroot kernel

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 23:59:21 UTC 2011

I have a kernel built with "-g", both zImage and vmlinux for MPC8323E-RDB
using buildroot-2010.11. I can run the target until a u-boot prompt, halt
the target with the BDI2000, load either vmlinux or zImage into the target,
but after I do a "target remote bdi2000:2001", although I can "stepi"
through the first few dozen assembly instructions in vmlinux, I cannot seem
to get anywhere with zImage.

I think I am bolloxed up in mmu/virtual/physical addresses.

Here is my recipe so far:

BDI> load zImage 0x00400000
BDI> bi 0xc000xxxx <start_kernel from System.map>

Host$ ddd --debugger powerpc....gdb vmlinux
  (gdb) target remote bdi2000:2001
  (gdb) symbol-file vmlinux

At this point a "BDI> go" or a "(gdb) cont" ends up just resetting the
board.

What am I stupidly doing wrong?

--
Charles Krinke