[Buildroot] Tentative conclusion on the libtool work

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Oct 7 14:57:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:36:52 +0200
Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, we should settle on a solution before mid-october, in
> order to merge it before the end of october and give us enough time
> for testing before the release at the end of november. Considering
> how much time Martin and Lionel have dedicated to this issue, I think
> that their respective work deserve some attention.

From the various comments on this list and discussions on IRC, it seems
that the consensus is that :

 *) We should merge Martin Banky's work, as it keeps the existing
    known-working approach and just extends it to support packages that
    have used libtool 2.2 to generate their libtool script.

    Peter, if you're ok, I can give some build tests to Martin's work
    and send you a pull request for it.

 *) We should upgrade our own libtool package to libtool 2.2, so that
    packages such as libgtk2 that needs to be autoreconf'ed *and* need
    libtool >= 2.2 can actually be autoreconf'ed.

    Lionel, would you mind preparing such a patch set ?

Do we agree on this solution ?

Ideally, it'd be nice to merge it within the next few weeks, at least
before the end of October, so that we can bump libgtk2 and have all
this in 2010.11.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons