[Buildroot] BE: Buildroot How-To for QEMU/ARM (Jim Thomas)

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Sun Jan 31 21:36:01 UTC 2010

On Sun January 31 2010, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-01-31, Jim Thomas <jimthomasembedded at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the Buildroot adoption rate might be higher if there
> > were a documented, streamlined way to build the kernel/RFS and
> > execute it under QEMU, with an end-to-end Buildroot build
> > process triggered by a single 'some_arm_defconfig'.  It might
> > serve as a very useful hardware independent reference
> > platform.
>
> I think that would be usefull as well.  Building for ARM boards
> and then running on Qemu is how I got up to speed on the
> Buildroot "environment", but it was harder than it could have
> been because the tutorials for buildroot/ARM/Qemu were out of
> date and the default configs for the two platforms I tried were
> broken (wouldn't build).
>
> Keeping a tutorial up-to-date would take some effort. It might
> be easier if it were in a Wiki format that didn't require
> wrestling with the bug-tracker and the submissions and approval
> of patches.
>
> If the default configs aren't going to be kept up to date, it
> would be nice if there was something to indicate which
> version(s) of Buildroot they did work with.

depends on Broken
At the appropriate places would do that trick.

But don't ask for that - you'll probably get one of those:
"That requires the purchase of a commercial support contract."
answers since it involves the function of what is actually
produced by the build system, not the build system itself.

Mike