[Buildroot] misc development news

Markus Heidelberg markus.heidelberg at web.de
Fri May 1 18:57:40 UTC 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa, 29.04.2009:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Markus Heidelberg
> > Peter seems to review many commits and fixes them or asks the committers
> > to fix them. So maybe the work isn't really less nowadays, but I'm not
> > sure.
> >

> Indeed unfortunally I don't offer as much help as I would like to, but
> at least I don't get in the way *smile*
> Imagine that on top of that, he would have to commit your patches, my
> patches, etc.

We can make his life easier with sending proper patch mails. Applying
them and committing will then be a rather automatic procedure.

> If we don't sort out how we are going to work, this move could just
> send ppl away, frustrated because we can't get things done.

The workflow and the problems before had sent people away, at least of
Bernhard I'm aware.

> I for one am still clueless on how should I continue to contribute,
> and yet I'm afraid that I will have to keep track of several different
> trees, on top of the 2 I already have (My private development +
> upstream buildroot).

Which extra trees do you think you need because of the changed workflow?
On the other hand, this is exactly which you can get much easier with
git in contrast to svn. Just create local branches as much as you need.
The data exchange between your private branch and the branch for your
changes that are meant for upstream also is pretty comfortable.

Markus