[Buildroot] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!: at boot time

Gaye Abdoulaye Walsimou walsimou at walsimou.com
Thu Jan 22 19:10:50 UTC 2009

Austin, Brian wrote:
> It's not quite that we aren't inspired.  It seems to be a common problem.
> Usually it's from either EABI/OABI conflicts with the kernel and your ramdisk, or something broken in the build with busybox itself.
>
> Have you run 'file' on your init or busybox binary?

Austin,

Toolchain #1:
kernel header linux-2.6.28.1, gcc-4.3.2, binutils-2.9, uclibc-0.9.30

Toolchain #1:
kernel header linux-2.6.27.10, gcc-4.2.4, binutils-2.9, uclibc-0.9.30

busybox which generates a kernel panic:
file /nfsroot/bin/busybox
/nfsroot/bin/busybox: setuid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32
rel2 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
build with toolchain #1

file /var/lib/tftpboot/vmlinux
/var/lib/tftpboot/vmlinux: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32
version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
build with toolchain #1

Working busybox:
bin/busybox: setuid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
build with toolchain #2

I'm a bit confused, I've set mips32r2 in buildroot for toolchain #1 and
for toolchain #2.

Thanks for your answer.
Regards