[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Jan 7 13:15:15 UTC 2009

 Ulf> You need several for distributions (or releases) to work
 >>
 >> Why? If big distributions like Debian can use the same sources for all
 >> it's archs, why can't we?

 Ulf> We need to differentiate between testing and releases.
 Ulf> I have already made the comment, that I believe
 Ulf> a distribution should use a single version of the source
 Ulf> (with patches).

 Ulf> I am talking about the process of getting a package
 Ulf> into the stable distribution, and currently there
 Ulf> is no process of doing this.
 Ulf> Either you commit a patch or not.
 Ulf> As you pointed out, we do not have the resources
 Ulf> to do every test for every architecture.

That's what the releases are for. We do development for some time,
then move into a stabilization phase (release candidates) and finally
we do a release. Then the cyclus starts again.

 Ulf> Unless we can commit patches to a development section
 Ulf> without breaking the distribution we cannot work
 Ulf> as a team.

Why not? It seems to work elsewhere, and obviously seems to have
worked here pretty ok as well.

 Ulf> Your goal of a single source package that will not break
 Ulf> for any supported architecture will thus be met by the
 Ulf> packages IN the distribution. Packages outside
 Ulf> the distribution are not supported.

packages outside the distribution? What are those?

 Ulf> It will also allow people to build old distributions.

They always can do that, just use an old release.