[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Tue Jan 6 15:32:43 UTC 2009

tis 2009-01-06 klockan 13:55 +0100 skrev Peter Korsgaard:

> Hi,
>
>  >> I think we need to discuss the architecture on how things are to be done
>  >>
>  Ulf> Maybe we should do this by documenting first what we want to do in the
>  Ulf> Doc directory.
>
> Sure, more documentation is good - But let's first get to an agreement
> on the list before writing stuff down.
>
> Again, after the release please.

Personally, I find a working document better than a chain of emails.
Also I find writing a specification before doing the work
is better than trying to document the work afterwards.
Especially if we discover that the structure does not work.

It is not

>  Ulf> As an adder, I think we need to define which
>  Ulf> environment variables should be expected
>  Ulf> to be generated by a Board Support Package
>
> Environment variables? Board support package? I don't quite follow?

I use the term BSP for directories under "target/device/"
target/device/Atmel is a group of Board Support Packages

They define things like BOARD_NAME and BOARD_PATH
which for different reasons are hardwired and not
enabled through Config.in files.

We should document which environment variables
(if any) are mandatory, and which are optional.
The same with directories,and file names.

Currently you have linux config files called
linux26.config and this is really no good.
Assume you have linux-alpha.config and linux-beta.config,
and you do not supply info on which one to use?

The current copy script will (hopefully)
up until, but not past the current kernel version.