[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Jan 6 15:01:49 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Nigel" == Nigel Kukard <nkukard at lbsd.net> writes:

Hi,

 Nigel> wrt central contacts and points of contacts ... we need that
 Nigel> MAINTAINERS file :)

Yes ;)

 >> I offer to do something about both: Take over maintainership and get
 >> atual stable releases out the door (if Erik and the other developers
 >> agree).

 Nigel> Personally I like how you handle the project and try steer it
 Nigel> with the resources available, I would like to see you being
 Nigel> the project maintainer.

Thanks.

 >> After that I would like us to move to a regular release schedule every
 >> 3 months with 2 months of development and 1 month of stabilization.

 Nigel> And those components without maintainers scheduled to be dropped or
 Nigel> deprecated (using BROKEN, DEPRECATED, NEEDS_MAINTAINER or however the
 Nigel> finer detail may advise) after X number of releases if no maintainer
 Nigel> steps up, this would help with some of the more severe bitrot in
 Nigel> portions of buildroot.

Exactly.

 Nigel> The other thing is possibly a mirror for buildroot releases so
 Nigel> people at least know those packages at those versions will
 Nigel> always be available, or at least available 6 months or so down
 Nigel> the line?

Yes, I already got a server/bandwidth offer for it off list.