[Buildroot] External toolchain problem with svn revision 24694

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Jan 5 21:54:35 UTC 2009

Hi hartleys,

Le Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:47:53 -0500,
"hartleys" <hartleys at visionengravers.com> a écrit :

> My bash scripting is not quite up to par but I think the
> $(copy_toolchain_sysroot) macro is doing the following:
>
> 1) calls '$(TARGET_CC) -v'
> 2) greps the output for the "Configured ...." information
> 3) greps that information for the "--with-sysroot ..." string
> 4) cuts the string following --with-sysroot and assigns it to
> SYSROOT_DIR
> 5) copies the entire $${SYSROOT_DIR} to ${STAGING_DIR}
> 6) chmod's all the directories to 755

Exactly.

> The problem I have is my external toolchain does not have a
> --with-sysroot configuration option.

Which probably means that your toolchain hasn't been compiled with
sysroot support.

> Any ideas?

Yes and no.

Yes: I can make sure that we test if sysroot is supported by the
toolchain and if not fail out instead of doing stupid things. I will
commit a patch that implements this soon.

No: I don't see a proper way of supporting external toolchains if they
don't support sysroot. Our previous attempts of using --rpath-link have
all failed, and --sysroot seems to be the best option we've seen until
now.

Thanks for the report!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.