[Buildroot] shell issues when /bin/sh is 'dash' instead of 'bash'

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Thu Jan 1 20:43:10 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> writes:

 Hamish> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 04:04:37PM -0700, Wade Berrier wrote:
 >> The result is that some files don't get installed into the target
 >> system when /bin/sh points to dash (like on recent ubuntu and debian?
 >> distros)
 >>
 >> Attached is a patch to use CONFIG_SHELL.

 Hamish> Why aren't we setting SHELL=$(CONFIG_SHELL) somewhere, rather
 Hamish> than using $(CONFIG_SHELL) explicitly in each place? (And why
 Hamish> do I have the feeling we've had this discussion before?)

Because we already discussed it earlier ;) - Without any
conclusion. The CONFIG_SHELL afaik comes from the kconfig legacy, but
other projects like U-Boot have recently skipped it and simply set
SHELL.

I have done it as well for buildroot, and a test build seems to work
fine, so I'll commit it in a moment. We still need to set CONFIG_SHELL
though for the kconfig stuff (or fix their makefiles, but I would
prefer to keep the difference between us and upstream minimal).

 Hamish> Besides is CONFIG_SHELL guaranteed to be bash anyway?

No, it currently falls back to /bin/sh if bash isn't there. We should
probably add a check in dependencies.sh

 Hamish> Happy new year.

You too.