[Buildroot] {buildroot 0004384]: GCC 4.3.1 fails with cannot compute suffix of object files

Maxim Grigoriev maxim at tensilica.com
Fri Jan 30 23:02:36 UTC 2009

There is a buildroot issue 0004384:

    http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/buildroot/2008-September/010792.html

I understand it's a generic architecture-independent GCC 4.3.1+ compiler
problem
mentioned several times in different places ( e.g. bugzilla PRs 35577,
35693 ).

On the buildroot mailing, list I found a reference to the patch

  gcc-4.3.1-compile.patch

introduced by "antezedens" somewhere around 09-10-08.
But, I was not able to find this patch. Looks like it was withdrawn.

                          * * * * *

My question is: is this build failure supposed to be fixed on
the BUILDROOT makefiles/scripts level ? Or, setting

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/toolchain_build_arm/mpfr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

from the top of buildroot tree is assumed to be a standard
setup for the buildroot build ? Is it documented anywhere ?

Thanks,
-- Maxim