[Buildroot] Updating toolchain config options to help external toolchain support.

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Jan 29 18:12:30 UTC 2009

> After a lot a playing around I have made some changes to the toolchain
> configuration options.
> This now allows users of external binary toolchains to enable/disable the
> same set of features as those
> who are building a toolchain using buildroot or external source.
> However the number of changes mean that I would like to post the patch below
> for comments before commiting it.
> I have tested the external toolchain support side of things and checked the
> options are all ok but I have not built a new
> buildroot toolchain (never done this)
> perhaps someone can comment on patch below: If not I would like to commit by
> friday to enable a few days testing before final release.
>
> Many thanks
> Daniel Laird

If you have an external toolchain which is built in a certain way,
then I think it makes more sense to have a file which
contains the settings of that toolchain:

config BR2_EXTERNAL_TOOLCHAIN
	defeds on ...
	select BR2_WCHAR
	select BR2_EXT_PTHREADS
	select BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX
	select ...

Why give the user an option to configure buildroot to
use the wrong parameters.

As I mentioned before, I think the toolchain should be
built as as seaprate item, and then provide
its configuration in a file like above.

Package disabled by the toolchain needs to
be replaced by a Comment during menuconfig.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson