[Buildroot] target/device/Atmel kernel patches

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Thu Jan 29 16:03:20 UTC 2009

 >> We already have a situation where more than half the size of buildroot
 >> is patches, continuing to grow this is not a workable situation.
 >>
 Ulf> I agree with this, but the solution I want to see is that you
 Ulf> only keep the latest patches in the tree,
 Ulf> and as we introduce new kernel versions we
 Ulf> let older patches slip into the mirror server.

I don't see why we the buildroot project should mirror random obsolete
board patches?

And again, things should get pushed upstream so we only carry patches
for (not-yet-applied-upstream) bugfixes.

 Ulf> I just want them to build as long as possible.

Why can't people just continue to use an old buildroot release or
store their (project specific) board patches outside buildroot?

 >> If people want to use an old kernel they can maintain it outside of
 >> buildroot or in their local buildroot tree.

 Ulf> I want to give people the capability to build old kernel
 Ulf> with a new root fs.

No problem if we make it possible to get the kernel from somewhere
else (for most commercial projects probably a local
cvs/svn/git/whatever repository).