[Buildroot] Status of "mplayer" in buildroot

Hans-Christian Egtvedt hans-christian.egtvedt at atmel.com
Tue Jan 20 06:27:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:59:47 +0100
Ulf Samuelsson <ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com> wrote:

> Anyone beeing able to build "mplayer" at all?
>
> I have been trying to get that to build for some time now.
>
> There are several problems:
>
> 1: Current mplayer relies on an older version of alsa-lib
>    The current version of alsa-lib make some routines "local"
>    by statements like:
>
>    #define snd_XXXX snd1_XXXX
>
>    mplayer uses some of these routines and the build will not
> complete.

I added a patch to the repository to fix compilation against the new
alsa library. MPlayer compiles and runs again :) Tested only on AVR32.

> 2) mplayer do not have any recent "versions".
>    Instead you are encouraged to checkout the latest svn.

It is just plain bad to depend on a random checkout. Perhaps we can use
debians/ubuntus "release"?

MPlayer v1.0rc2 + mplayer_1.0~rc2-0ubuntu17.diff.gz ?

When I look more into it, the Ubuntu diff is just adding pulse audio
support and various version and other doc changes.

>    The build of this will fail using the current Buildroot mplayer.mk,
>    since you have to prepare the mplayer source tree by:
>
>    ./configure
>    make codec.conf.h	# This is created using native gcc.
>
>    And once this is complete, then the buildroot mplayer.mk
>    can be applied on top.
>
>    The AVR32 patches do not apply clean on the current svn, but
>    since I believe mplayer do not build anyway, for any architecture
>    that means that there should be no problem upgrading mplayer
>    to the latest version.
>
>    I *have* created a new version of the AVR patches that applies
>    clean on top of the current svn. Not fully tested yet.
>    HCE you want to test?

Sure, feel free to send me the diff, then I can work on getting it
ready for submission upstream.

> I am not particlary fond of downloading the latest svn,
> since that is a recipy for breakage.
> I think we should have a recommended version of mplayer
> (which we have tested on many architectures)
> as well as the capability to checkout the latest.

I say we at least move to v1.0rc2, but lets worry about that after the
release. The quick fix I did should get it working as it is now.

Hans-Christian Egtvedt