[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Wed Jan 7 12:55:33 UTC 2009

ons 2009-01-07 klockan 12:54 +0100 skrev Peter Korsgaard:

> Hi,
>
>  Markus> See my comment above. Why picking commits from HCE, making his
>  Markus> repository more valueless, because everything is also in
>  Markus> uclibc-buildroot and at the same time risk breaking it or prevent
>  Markus> updating packages (mplayer for example)?

I think I have shown that you can have the cookie and eat it as well.
With my proposal there will be

* Very little need to declare an architecture broken
  by allowing limitations on each architectures.

* A single source version for a distribution

* Patches that are tested and verified for all
  architectures, for which the package is available.

* possibilities to commit for development purposes,
  without disrupting the stable or testing
  distribution. This activity can be ongoing,
  and there is no need to stop the fixing
  of a package, due to release dates.
  Allowing patches for development purposes
  allows buildroot to become a team effort.

* Allow stable distribution to coexist with
  test distributions.

* Allow existence of multiple distributions

* Allow users to work with custom patches
  easily without commiting until proved correct.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson