[Buildroot] Buildroot and OpenEmbedded

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:14:26 UTC 2009

2009/8/24 Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org>:

> Hi,
>
>  Bjørn> What do you guys think? What does Buildroot provide that OE
>  Bjørn> does not?  And another thing: could/should the two projects be
>  Bjørn> merged?
>
> As several people already mentioned, BR is located elsewhere than OE
> on the feature/complexity curve. It is a smaller and (imho atleast)
> simpler system, which is optimized for small embedded systems, rather
> than PDA-style devices, but it clearly doesn't have as many
> packages/features as OE.

Funny, nobody has commented the "OE+BR merge" I mentioned. Am I the only one
dreaming of a BR with its easy configuration combined with the package
set provided
by OE? But I guess the OE bitbake tool and *.bb files makes a merge
impossible...

Well, thanks to all for the feedback. Although I'm using OE right now
(project at work),
I'm sure I will use BR again sometime. And even more, maybe contribute! Thanks
to all BR developers for helping me build my first embedded Linux system. It was
(and still is) fun!

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman