[Buildroot] Buildroot and OpenEmbedded

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:04:39 UTC 2009

Hi all,

When I started out with embedded Linux, Buildroot was of great help.
It built a working cross toolchain and a rootfs for me and I was very
pleased with it. (Thanks a lot to all developers!) At the same time I
had tried OpenEmbedded (OE) without much of a success: it was too
complex for me and I could not get it to build anything. Now, about
two years later, I started using OE at work and have had very good
experiences with it. So good that I must think carefully about why I
should use Buildroot for my next project, and not OE. I guess the main
reason (for me at least) for thinking about using Buildroot is its
easy menu configuration. But at the same time it feels like OE has
more to offer in terms of its build system and its package set.

What do you guys think? What does Buildroot provide that OE does not?
And another thing: could/should the two projects be merged?

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman