[Buildroot] /dev files not being created correctly

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:12:05 UTC 2009

2009/4/14 Mark Fisher <fobs12 at ymail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to buildroot and am using the 2009.02 release of
> buildroot on a Fedora 9 platform and targeting an embedded device with an
> Intel Atom processor.
>
> When the root filesystem is built the types of the files are all set to
> plain text files. So for instance the /dev/console is not set to be a
> character device. This has already create problems when I try to boot
> because the console could not be opened. I manually fixed /dev/console and
> /dev/null. I'm still having trouble booting the image and also after
> a re-build my custom changes were lost.
>
> Is this a known problem, and is there a fix? If not should I delete all the
> files in the /dev directory and then re-create them based on the settings in
> the device_table.txt?

The plain text files in /dev are just as they should be, but the rootfs with
those files is not the rootfs you want for your target. Try selecting a
different root file system type in menuconfig, like tar or ext2 or
something. By doing that you should get proper /dev/* files in your
generated rootfs images under ./binaries/<project>/.