[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/package

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Nov 11 19:10:51 UTC 2008

Le Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:46:36 -0000,
<danieljlaird at hotmail.com> a écrit :

> I have just completed local testing of AUTO_CONFIGURE_TARGET that the
> GIT based buildroot is using.

Great !

> After I get this back (tomorrow) I suspect that some
> Makefile.autotools.in packages might not build
> I will post some common things to try to fix these I just cant build
> all packages before feeding this back.

Can you post the patch for review before committing. It is quite an
important change, some review will probably lead to interesting
comments.

Moreover, as it will not possible to test all packages before
committing, I'd suggest to commit the patch with the cache disabled by
default. People who are willing to test in their configuration can
enable the new feature with just a simple configuration change. By
doing so, we won't break the build of people not willing to test, while
still increasing the testing of this nice new feature.

> It has highlighted an issue with the sheer number of config options
> that are being hardcoded for packages like GTK etc!
> Do we really need this huge number of configure options? surely
> configure is not that bad at sniffing values?
> The problem is that setting these values by hand means they override
> settings in the cache file which means for example GTK disables CXX
> compiler, yet I have a perfectly working compiler.
> WebKit then tries to build after GTK and says I have no CXX compiler.
> Deleting this hardcoded config flag means the cache file works.

I'm not quite sure what to do with all these changes. But some of them
are probably necessary: the purpose of ./configure is to compile and
run some small test programs to see if some features are available or
not. However, in cross-compiling mode, running these test programs is
not possible, so overriding configuration options might be necessary.

However, clearly, the case of ac_cv_prog_CXX is wrong. The value of
this option should be computed in package/Makefile.in depending on the
configuration, and should be added to TARGET_CONFIGURE_ARGS, which is
passed to the ./configure script thanks to the Makefile.autools.in
machinery.

Cheers,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.