[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot: toolchaintoolchain/external-toolchain

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Nov 4 17:23:14 UTC 2008

Hi hartleys,

Please keep the list in Cc, other Buildroot developers can give very
valuable insights, very often better than mine.

Le Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:09:02 -0500,
"hartleys" <hartleys at visionengravers.com> a écrit :

> > Oops. Could you give me your Buildroot .config file ? And the error
> message you're having ?
>
> Attached is the .config

Is this a .config generated with the bare trunk, or with the trunk
modified to remove the two chunks that you mentionned previously ?

Since BR2_KERNEL_HEADERS_2_6_27 is set, I'm inclined to think that this
is a .config after removal of the two chunks.

> > To build the kernel, there are two solutions:
> >  * linux (advanced configuration)
> >  * linux (same version as linux headers)
> >
> > The second solution is probably broken by my change, but the first
> > one seems to work fine here.
>
> The second is broken with your change.
>
> I tried the first but it's a bit of a pain. Every time there is a new
> kernel I have to go in an update the values. I guess it's more of a
> nit...

The second option « same version as linux headers » clearly cannot work
with my patches: since we're using an external toolchain, there's no
version of linux headers defined in Buildroot.

So my proposal is:

 1) remove the option "linux (same version as linux headers)" when an
    external toolchain is used ;

 2) improve the "advanced" support to suit your needs. What do you mean
    by « I have to go in and update the values » ?

What do you think about this ?

> At this point I'm still in development and a lot of the stuff I am
> working on is kernel related. I keep sending off patches that are
> slowly showing up in the newer kernels so I always want the latest
> stuff. I really wish I could figure out how to use git inside
> buildroot...

Grant Likely recently sent a patch adding the ability to get the kernel
for a Git repository. See
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/lists/buildroot/2008-October/011037.html.
This patch hasn't been integrated to Buildroot, yet.

> > I don't use Buildroot to build my kernels, so I missed that problem,
> sorry.
>
> Not a problem. How else can you cross compile the kernel?

See slides 136 and following in
http://free-electrons.com/doc/embedded_linux_kernel_and_drivers.pdf.

Sincerly,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons