[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/package/busybox

sjhill at realitydiluted.com sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Fri Jun 27 12:46:53 UTC 2008

> > Daniel> I use buildroot actively in my company and have kept up to
> > Daniel> date pretty well.  However we are still using busybox 1.2.2.1
>
> And what's the reason for you doing this? Do you like huge .bss and just
> don't want to benefit from the improvements that went into busybox
> during the last years?

Because some applets work in 1.2.2.1 that don't in newer versions, like
telnetd for example.

> If there are regressions (something worked with 1.2.2.1 but fails with
> 1.11.0) no matter if they are behavioural or size-regressions, then you
> would be better off to report those to the busybox list.

Some of us live in the real world where once we ship a product and start
providing updates, it becomes cost prohibitive to requalify all the
software on a platform to make sure everything still plays together.

> >So you are still doing active development (E.G. buildroot stuff) on a
> >project where you cannot change the busybox version?
> >
> > Daniel> So I vote for not removing just deprecating :-)
> >
> >Ok, anyone still using 1.6 .. 1.8?

I vote for deprecating.

-Steve