[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/package

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Dec 16 00:37:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:42:34PM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Le Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:07:38 -0800 (PST),
> tpetazzoni at uclibc.org a écrit :
>
> > TARGET_PATH didn't contain $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/bin, which means that
> > programs installed in $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/bin were not considered for
> > execution during Buildroot build process. This was a problem with host
> > automake/autoconf/libtool, which could not be found.
>
> BTW, I'm quite confused by the fact that we install host binaries and
> target binaries in $(STAGING_DIR). It means that during the build, we
> have target binaries considered for execution because they are in
> $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/bin, which is the the PATH during Buildroot
> execution.
>
> Is there any reason for this ?
>
> I would really find it cleaner to have a separate installation
> directory for host tools (like toolchain_build_ARCH/bin which contains
> a symlink to sed).

Yes it's a mess. There's host binaries like the compiler etc, and some
target binaries provided by various library packages eg openssl,
libjpeg..

We need to clean up the Python build situation too (eg build a proper
host Python for use in building target Python), but installing all of
that into the existing $(STAGING_DIR) will just make it worse.

Hamish