[Buildroot] Dataflash rootfs problems (still)

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Wed Oct 24 16:33:38 UTC 2007

ons 2007-10-24 klockan 18:20 +0200 skrev Jorge S.:
> Hello all:
>
> I've sucessfully built  several root filesystems  for my custom board
> (AT91RM9200 + 8MiB DataFlash),  but  now  i'm facing a  strange
> problem.
>
> I'm using a JFFS2 filesystem on an MTD partition into the DataFlash,
> my rootfs boots OK, but ONLY for the first time. See steps:
>
> 1) Create a rootfs JFFS2 image using buildroot -> OK
> 2) Erase entire flash partition: I boot from an initrd containing
> mtd-tools for this purpouse. -> OK
> 3) Dump the rootfs image "rootfs.jffs2" into the Dataflash (i use
> loadb from u-boot here...) -> OK
> 4) Boot the system... -> OK
> 5) Login and issue a simple reboot, no other commands...nothing
> else.... -> OK

If you run the SPI faster than 5 Mbps, you are basically screwed.
See Errata #13 in the datasheet.

You will need to add an external AND gate if you want to run faster.

* AND output to the dataflash chip select,
* one input to the NPCS0
* one input to a GPIO

The driver needs to be adapted for this.

> After the reboot at step "5" the system comes again, but now when is
> press BACKSPACE it writes a space, and if i try to add a user or
> change the root password
> i always get a "/etc/passwd" not found.
>
> So i have (at least) 2 weird issues here:
>
> 1) Why my backspace key sends a space, but really deletes a
> character?!?! It worked fine for the 1st boot
> 2) Why "adduser" and "passwd" utilities are unable to access /etc
> files? I'have TRIPLE checked read/write permissions...everything is
> ok. Of course it works fine if i do this on the 1st boot!
>
> Any idea?!
>
> Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson