[Buildroot] svn At revision 20289 breakage

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Fri Oct 19 08:35:11 UTC 2007

link: www.avrfreaks.net
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kuten Ivan" <ivan.kuten at promwad.com>
To: "Babarovic Ivica" <ivica.babarovic at asist.si>
Cc: "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf at atmel.com>; <buildroot at uclibc.org>
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 12:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] svn At revision 20289 breakage

> Babarovic Ivica wrote:
>> Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>>> It is always the case that you have to provide a ".config" file for
>>> linux.
>>>
>>> For some lucky souls Buildroot will do it for you.
>>> This is when there is an appropriate definition somewhere in the
>>> target directory,
>>> and if you have supplied the right kernel.
>> Well, I guess I was lucky until now. I never provided any kernel or
>> .config files.
>> I still fail to see why this is important for buildroot build. Kernel
>> headers?
>>
>> I have a .config file from a kernel I build. Should I put that into
>> buildroot process?
>> What differences would it make?
>>> For some unlucky souls, they now have an option to start a "make
>>> xconfig"
>>> to get a window allowing them to configure things instead of having a
>>> failed build.

> As for me, I'm not using building kernel in buildroot - I'm building it
> separately.
> And with recent changes made by Ulf, we have only to regenerate our
> .config buildroot config
> and to select Kernel -> "none". And I have buildroot build OK again.
> The only thing that Ulf forget to warn people that if they have old
> buildroot .config
> they must regenerate it and select kernel .config or kernel none ,
> otherwise you will get that error
> messages when doing cp.

It was Bernhard which introduced the new kernel selection so dont blame me.

The old way of building the kernel really suck, so I understand why you
build it separately.

I added the Advanced Kernel Configuration last week to fix those problems.
You can select any 2.6.x.y kernel.
You can add -rc# patches, -mm# patches and your own proprietary patch which
is located in $(DL_DIR)
You can select easily zImage,bzImage, uImage, vmlinux (proprietary).
    It would be good if you gave that one a try and provide feedback on any
drawbacks you see.

> Best regards,
> Ivan

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57