[Buildroot] Several issues by a buildroot newbie...

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Oct 3 22:32:13 UTC 2007

I'm fairly new to buildroot so please excuse me if I inadvertently touch
something that has been raised previously:

1. Undefined reference in uClibc:
    In function `__libc_pthread_init':
    libc_pthread_init.c:(.text+0xf): undefined reference to
    `__libc_multiple_threads'

    I dug through the code and it appears that the missing variable is
used as a return value for __libc_pthread_init() but that that return
value appears to be squirreled away and perhaps never used.

   In any event, this is, I suspect the cause of the next item, below.

2. Python segfaults when being loaded.  For various reasons I'm very
suspicions that the uClibc dynamic library loader is segfaulting.  I've
tried to build a static image of Python but I can't because of the
unresolved in the prior item.

I had a similar problem with sudo and all the openssh tools with the
stable version of uClibc.  The segfaulting of those, but not of Python,
went away with the snapshot version of uClibc.

   Python did compile and run quite nicely on my year old snapshot of
buildroot, but it's effectively dead now.

3. The sudo sources aren't available via the URL given in the
package/sudo/sudo.mk.  The site, http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/dist, has
upgraded to a newer version and the older one to be downloaded appears
no longer on that site.

4. The lockfile-progs.c (in package lockfile-progs) uses rindex() but
does not include the correct header file that defines it.  This can be
repaired by a patch that either changes rindex() to strrchr() or
including the correct header.  (I did the former.)

		--karl--