[Buildroot] (How-to properly use) external toolchain?

Piotr Adam Zolnierczuk pzolnier at indiana.edu
Wed Feb 14 19:31:47 UTC 2007

Hi,
I could not find answer in a FAQ nor in the mailing list archives, so I
am posting the question

Problem:
I am not sure I understand the meaning of
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_LIB_C and BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_LIBS config
parameters

Synopsis:
Here's what I did
1. Got buildroot (revision 17875) and succesfully build toolchain only
(gcc-4.1.1, binutils-2-17 and gdb-6.5, uClib latest snapshot) and
installed it to /opt/arm directory (by setting
BR2_STAGING_DIR="/opt/arm"). All target options were disabled.
2. Using the above I was able to compile linux kernel that works on my
board (it happens to be at91sam9260ek, but that is I hope irrelevant)
3. Now I unpack buildroot to a separate directory and configure it to
use my /opt/arm external toolchain. All works fine except that I have to
manually copy several libs from /opt/arm/lib to
(...)/buildroot/build_arm/root/lib. I tried several different
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_LIB_C and BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_LIBS but they
seem to be simply ignored

Q: Any ideas as to what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Piotr

 Piotr Adam Zolnierczuk
 Indiana University                        phone:  (812) 855-3613
 Cyclotron Facility                        fax:    (812) 855-6645
 2401 Milo B Sampson Ln             e-mail:  pzolnier at indiana.edu
 Bloomington,IN 47408, USA    http://www.iucf.indiana.edu/~zolnie
                   written on recycled electrons