Locales strike back

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 20:19:51 UTC 2015

On June 2, 2015 6:03:55 PM GMT+02:00, "Jaromír Cápík" <tavvva at seznam.cz> wrote:
Jaromír, your mailer is configured oddly, you insert lots of vertical space, fwiw.

>Well. You can mix two licenses in the sources.  You just need to upload
>
>two separate license files and put a clarification in the sources
>(usually
>
>in the headers). Many projects do that.
>

>I could ask our legal department to get it confirmed.
>

>"> license and therefore you can freely redistribute and modify
>> sources and even binary data.
>
>And if you redistribute binaries without the corresponding sources you
>get a shakedown from the FSF or the Conservancy asking for many
>thousands of dollars."

Anybody can provide a tarball of an old glibc tarball if they use pregenerated locales, yes.

>I don't see a problem with re-distributing the glibc sources :]
>
>It might seem a bit odd, but who cares if that works.
>
>Anyway ... in this case it' implicated as the extracting
>
>tools produce derived sources (even when they contain binary
>
>data), but still ... these are derived sources and not directly
>
>re-distributed binaries. This is also a nice question for the
>
>legal department.
>

>"> > and I _really_ didn't want to throw a glibc source tarball in the
>> > uclbic download directory.
>>
>> I don't think you need to.
>""

We would need to or delete the pregenerated tarball. I'll do the latter for simplicity when I'm near a real computer. It's easy to recreate it against a let's say glibc-2.19 or .20

>The email is a bit long and I'll have to read the rest later :]

Ideally we would base off the Unicode tables to avoid the whole brittle mess. But then that's a lot of work for something (locales) I personally see no real benefit in and don't really use although I see that folks seem to use it (for reasons beyond my imagination).

Any help to beat locales into reasonable shape is very, very welcome, of course. I don't see how I would find time to handle this on myself anytime soon.

So, if you use locales, please share your solutions or attempts.

Thanks and cheers,