Doing a release?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Sep 18 16:44:15 UTC 2013

Dear Khem Raj,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:11:43 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:

> > It'd be really nice if uClibc adopted a slightly more frequent
> > release schedule, to more easily allow downstream users to benefit
> > from improvements/fixes.
>
> I think, if we decide to do releases biannually maintaining branches
> for long time can be avoided. To get started I think lets start by
> planning for a 0.9.34 and then everyone sending the pending patches
> for subsequent 0.9.35 and so on.

Since I'm not a uClibc contributor, it's certainly quite easy for me to
just speak, but I would like to advocate for a time-based release
schedule. I believe that for many projects, time-based release
schedules create a rhythm, that provides well-known deadlines and
encourages the entire community to meet those deadlines.

Buildroot has switched to time-based releases since early 2009, and I
believe it has been very successful. Releases have always been made in
time (certainly thanks to the tenacity of the maintainer), and the
contributions on the project have increased because things are moving.

As a nice side-effect, it also allows to get rid of ridiculous release
numbers such as 0.9.33.4.23.23.55.1 that uClibc starts to have :-)

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com