non-interactive build question

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 22:17:32 UTC 2013

On 6 November 2013 22:51, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer
<rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 October 2013 09:02, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Monday 14 October 2013 12:43:34 Steve Ellcey wrote:
>>> I am new to building uclibc, but have experience building glibc and newlib,
>>> and I have a question about the best way to build multiple versions of
>>> uclibc from a script without any user interaction.
>>
>> you have experience building the kernel though right ?  uClibc largely behaves
>> the same as that.
>>
>>> Currently, I run 'make defconfig' to create a default .config file and then
>>> use grep to modify the .config file before each build (strip out some lines
>>> and then append my versions back in).  I.e. I remove the ARCH_BIG_ENDIAN=y
>>> line and then add in a ARCH_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y line. to change from big-endian
>>> to little-endian or I may pick a different MIPS ABI.  But what I noticed is
>>> that when I run the normal 'make' command after modifying .config is that
>>> my .config changes are getting wiped out and .config is getting restored
>>> to a default state.
>>
>> try `make oldconfig` first (assuming you pass ARCH=/etc... on the command line)
>>
>>> Can someone explain why this is happening and if there is a way to prevent
>>> it?  Is there a better way to do multiple uclibc builds with different
>>> defaults and without requiring any user interaction?
>>
>> usually the simplest thing is to create the .config files by hand as you care
>> about them, and then use those when building
>>
>> alternatively, we could update our kconfig snapshot to the latest kernel which
>> would get use miniconfig support

More to the point:

Not sure if that helps, but my way of configuring non-interactively is
"documented" here, fwiw:
http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-core/uclibc

The configury that derives from the desired surrounding can be found
in uclibc-config.inc
(There's still a FIXME WRT mips abi in there due to lack of time, i
fear) and the base configury lives in uclibc.inc
This latter config mentions a "merge_config.sh" which may or may not
be handy for your purposes.

I take it that i do not need to point you to kconfig howtos, else see
accompanying kconfig docs in uClibc/extra/config and/or grep for
getenv.

Please let us know if you encounter specific problems.

thanks,