getaddrinfo performance problems

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Apr 16 14:05:54 UTC 2012

Hi, I'm suffering extreme performance problems with getaddrinfo being
used by ipset to do conversions from IP textual strings to number.
Although the IP address is textual there is a reverse DNS lookup
performed and in the event that my resolver is slow, this is sometimes
taking 60seconds or so to return

(specifics are the box has multiple internet connections, if one
connection is dead we need ipset to force use of another connection, but
ipset does a reverse lookup down the dead connection which seems to take
lots of multi-sec timeout)

Is anyone sitting on a patch to optimise getaddrinfo for the situation
of hint = AI_NUMERICHOST ?  Otherwise I will investigate, but would
appreciate a helping hand from someone more familiar with the code?
Willing to pay for a fix?

Many thanks

Ed W