compile error: "off64_t"

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Jun 29 20:39:29 UTC 2011

On 29/06/2011 21:07, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
>> Hi, this is quite possibly not a uclibc problem, but I'm hoping someone
>> might help point at the problem.
>>
>> I'm trying to compile perl "GD" (from cpan) and hitting what looks like
>> some header file problems. The (out of context) compile error is:
>>
>>    /usr/lib/perl5/5.12.3/i486-linux-thread-multi/CORE/proto.h:692:
>> error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'off64_t'
>>
>> This is uclibc head from a couple of days back (about 12 commits newer
>> than 0.9.32), compiled with large file support on x86 (also nptl if
>> that's relevant). Perl is 5.12.3, compiled since uclibc
>>

> compiling perl is non-trivial look into
> some of build infra e.g. build root
> and openembedded and see what tricks
> they play to make perl behave in cross
> build.

Thanks - I should add that I'm not crosscompiling at this stage.
Because the target is x86 I build in an x86 chroot that is near
identical to the final target.

As such this looks rather more like an interaction with perl and either
uclibc or x86?

I'm baffled by the error - I hacked proto.h to redefine Off_t just to
see what happens, I still get what appears to be a compiler parsing
error though... This suggests perhaps the compiler is choking on
something else and the error might be some earlier/later definition...

Anyone able to confirm they can/can't build perl-gd on their uclibc root?

Note I have no problem building perl, some other XS based perl modules,
nor GD...

Thanks

Ed W