Buildroot and bitbake

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 13 19:45:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:42:31PM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> > I use uclibc as released, gcc from fsf, linux kernel from kernel.org, etc.
> > It isn't really that hard to do.  Or maybe I am just weird.
>
>  http://uclibc.org/FAQ.html#compiling
>                            #toolchain
>                            #wrapper
>
>  A "standard", glibc-built gcc might work for your system, but it won't
> in the general case. gcc has a tendency to have compiled-in defaults
> that like to leak all over the place, and it needs to be specifically
> built for uClibc with very careful tuning to avoid falling back to
> invalid glibc-based assumptions.
>  Compiling stuff with a leaking toolchain can lead to very, very ugly
> things, and building a working GNU toolchain with not-glibc is not a
> piece of cake (which is why buildroot exists in the first place).

I use gcc setup to cross compile for uclinux.  Currently I use gcc 4.3.3
to compile for m68knommu.  It works very well.  Versions prior to 4.3
are practically unusuable though.

A gcc meant to generate glibc binaries for linux probably can't target
a uclibc linux for the same hardware.  I wouldn't expect it to.

--
Len Sorensen