Buildroot and bitbake

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Sat Jun 11 21:16:48 UTC 2011

> I suspect that buildroot is uClibc's biggest "customer."

 Suspecting is a dangerous business. :)

 There are many, many more customers of uClibc that do not necessarily
use buildroot or OpenEmbedded. Every company that works with embedded
systems and knows what it's doing (granted, that might not mean a lot)
is using uClibc; some of them use hand-made, proprietary (or free)
root building systems.

 Most of them try to build their own uClibc-based toolchain and fail
miserably. (To their credit, it's horribly difficult; not because of
uClibc, but because of gcc's assumptions.) This is probably what hurts
uClibc usage the most: you need to design a toolchain around it to be
able to use it, and it's not a simple task at all.

 Rob, I'm impatiently waiting for an Aboriginal Linux uClibc-0.9.32
based toolchain (mostly native i686 and cross armv7 if you can), so
I can actually *use* the new uClibc. Your toolchains are about the
only ones I trust.

--
 Laurent