musl initial release announcement

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Feb 12 04:49:40 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I'm pleased to announce the first public release of musl, some
friendly competition for uClibc. musl is a new Linux libc developed
almost entirely from scratch over the past five years, sharing some
goals in common with uClibc and differing radically in others.

    http://www.etalabs.net/musl/

It's my hope that our projects can benefit from one another, and
especially that uClibc might be able to utilize some of the components
I originally developed for musl. In particular, musl features new
implementations of:

- malloc: Less than half the size of dlmalloc, with similar basic
  algorithms. Utilizes fine-grained locking for high performance with
  threads. Capable of returning any freed memory to the system (not
  just from the top of the heap).

- pthreads: A new implementation focused on low overhead, in terms of
  both size and performance. Presently lacking some advanced features,
  but will likely weigh in at around 10kb of code once everything is
  finished.

These aren't setup to be drop-in replacements for use with uClibc, but
if someone from the uClibc project is interested in following
development and integrating them, I believe they could be useful
additions.

Rich